THE STREETS OF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD
The street network in the neighborhood began to form with the settling of the first inhabitants and the construction of the small and inconspicuous houses. There was no regulation and the first streets are included in the town planning of Sofia after the official recognition of „Batalova Vodenitsa“ in 1926. A year later, the Ministry of Public Health published information in the State Gazette that Royal Decree No 133 of 18 April 1927 approved the project for the construction of new streets in squares № 405, 405a, 406 and 406a in the „Batalova Vodenitsa“ area. It was assumed the principle that they bear the names of the activists of the Bulgarian revolutionary movement or of the geographic localities and settlements. According to the register of Sofia Municipality in 1940 there were 2240 streets and squares in Sofia. 38 of them were in the „Batalova Vodenitsa“. Subsequently some of the streets change their original names. Here is their full list, presented in alphabetical order. In brackets, if available, the year of their recognition by the Sofia Municipal Council. The number of inhabitants in the mentioned settlements is from the last census in 2011. Some of the streets are registered in other neighborhoods, but they are also mentioned because either they are bordered by a „Batalova Vodenitsa“, or parts of it pass through it.
The main pedestrian arteries in „Batalova Vodenitsa“ were the streets of „Ohridsko Ezero“, „Gyueshevo“, „Sveti Vrach“ (after 1950 „Lambi Kandev“) and „Odrin“. The residents of the neighborhood headed to the bustling boulevard. „Kniaginia Clementina“ and „Pirotska“ Str., which play the role of „scraper“ and were the starting point for the capital center. They often go for a long walk here, where there are many attractive shopping and craft shops, pubs and shops.
Within the neighborhood there are three squares. These are „Сжетлина“, „Sokolets“ and „Saglasie“. They were on a limited scale, yet they were becoming a center of place where residents gathered for a bizarre and gossip. At the end of „Batalova Vodenitsa“ there were more than two decades and an improvised park space, which the neighbours were called arbitrarily „Tsvetnitsa“. Later, part of the workshops of the „9th September“ Shoe Plant were built on its area.